Superintendent's notes – May 9, 2011

2011. 05.08
SUPERINTENDENT’S SPEAKING NOTES – DISTRICT PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEETING

1.    Principal and Vice Principal Transfer:  Administrative moves will take place over the next 3 weeks.  Organizational, School and Individual factors are considered within a strategic framework.

2.    Assistant Superintendent, Sharon Cairns:  Ms. Cairns, who has dedicated her life to students, staff, parents and the Prince George community, will be retiring as of July 31, 2011.  Her significant and important contributions will be missed!

3.    Aboriginal Education Policy 1230 and Aboriginal Education Board Policy 1231: The Board has put these two policies out for public consultation.  Your input is important.  Please visit our webpage: www.sd57.bc.ca  for further information.

4.    Board of Education Budget 2011-2012:  Senior Administration has been working extensively on the Budget process for the past month.  Beginning this week, the Board of Education will have significant involvement in the budget process leading up to the May Public Board Meeting.  The budget process reflects our complex and decentralized organization.  The education minister is expecting a balanced budget from each of the province’s 60 school districts.

5.    School Organization Process: This item was mentioned in the April Superintendent’s Speaking Notes.  Schools have delivered their “organization” to senior staff, roll-up has been completed and the financial and personnel implications factored into the 2011-2012 budget process.  Schools will once again deliver a school organization in September when actual student numbers for each school are known.

6.    DPAC Annual General Meeting:  On behalf of the Board of Education, Senior Administration and School Principals/Vice Principals, thank you to the 2010-2011 DPAC Executive for your donation of time and considerable expertise in service to our students!  Thank you as well for your wise counsel and significant input to district operations.  Your contributions are valued and appreciated!  We look forward to continued partnership with the 2011-2012 DPAC Executive!

Agenda – DPAC AGM – May 9, 2011

AGENDA DPAC ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING – MONDAY, MAY 9, 2011

7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre

Elluminate link for remote access – https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=&password=M.854C7AF267C2E8FFB52465F5BB8E00

Note:  You may be prompted to download some software which may take anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes depending on your Internet connection speed. Join your meeting early if you can.

2011 April 4 – meeting notes as PDF

DPAC April 2011 Event Report

DPAC Income Statement April 2011

DPAC March 2011 Event Report

DPAC Income Statement March 2011

 

1.               Adoption of Agenda

2.               Adoption of April 4, 2011 Meeting Minutes

3.               Special Presentation  – Raj Dhasi

Raj Dhasi is a senior Conflict Management Consultant with Turning Point Resolutions. Raj works with schools and organizations across Canada to resolve conflict effectively. Raj is a faculty member with the Centre for Conflict Resolution and teaches at Simon Fraser University. She holds a Masters Degree in Conflict Analysis and Management and is currently studying Neuroscience. Tonight Raj is here to talk to us about the do’s and don’ts of managing conflict with our children with their brain development in mind.

4.               Reports

(a)                DPAC Chair Report

(b)               Treasurer’s Report

(c)                Superintendent Report

(d)               Trustee Report

(e)               PGDTA Report

(f)                 PGPVPA Report

(g)                CUPE Report

(h)               DSAC Report

 

(5 – 10 minute coffee /Snack break)

5.               Committee Reports

(a)                EPPC Committee Report – Chris Finke (Alternate:  Don Sabo)

(b)               Education Services Committee Report– Stephen Shannon (Alternate:  Dennis Fudge)

(c)                Policy/Governance Committee Report –  Don Sabo (Alternate: Dennis Fudge)

(d)               Parent Involvement Committee – Cara Vandekraats

 

6.               Announcements/New Business

(a)                School District Environmental Sustainability Committee (SDESC)

(b)               Northern Crime Prevention Symposium (Dennis)

(c)                Community That Cares Initiative (Don)

(d)               BCCPAC Conference Report (Sarah & Jacqui)

(e)               Motion to establish a process for selecting delegates to conferences

(f)                 Motion to establish a process for reviewing BCCPAC Resolutions

(g)                DPAC Executive Elections

(h)               DPAC Executive appointments to committees

 

7.               Other Business

(a)          Other

8.               Agenda items for next meeting

9.               Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre.

Schedules

–          Minutes of April 4, 2011 Meeting

–          DPAC Chair Report

–          Treasurer Report

DPAC MEETING NOTES FOR APRIL 4TH, 2011

DPAC MEETING NOTES FOR APRIL 4TH, 2011

2011 April 4 – meeting notes as PDF

Attendees:

DPAC Executive: Don Sabo, Steve Shannon, Sarah Holland, Dennis Fudge, Chris Finke

Partner Groups: PGDTA Matt Pearce, Trustee Lyn Hall, CUPE Lorraine Prouse, PGPVPA Cindy Heightman

School Reps: École College Heights (Lara Beckett & Jacqueline Dockray), Beaverly (Colleen Smith), Pineview (Michelle Rolfis), Hart Highlands (Kim Shannon), Kelly Road (Steve Shannon), Nukko Lake (Gillian Burnett & Lori Muise), École Lac des Bois (Elena Thomas), Edgewood (Cara Vandekraats), École Heather Park (Sarah Holland), Quinson (Ryan Clarke).

 

 

Meeting Start Time:  7:06 pm

Adoption of Agenda:  Motion by College Heights: 2nd by Nukko Lake

Adoption of March Minutes:  Motion by Pineview/PGSS: 2nd by College Heights

(a) PAC Networking

 

Kelly Road – another school dance, no problems

Hart Highlands – movie night, planning for a fun fair

Quinson – Very muddy school yard

PGSS/Pineview – Performance – The Missoula Theatres – directors from the US audition kids, prepare through the week and then perform on weekend.  Did Beauty and the Country Beast.

Lac des Bois – in process of having swings approved.  $15,000 to install 4 swings – have raised the funds.

College Heights – David Suzukin online birthday party, 17 groups practising for Red Cedar, Quiz Me starting.

Beaverly – Organizing a carnival for beginning of June

Nukko Lake – hopeful that playground may actually be useable.  Was put in backwards, turned around and should now be useable.  Losing Principal, Bill McIver as he is retiring – difficult.

Heather Park – is now having soap dispensers refilled!  Looking to recruit Executive members for PAC.  Principal making spreadsheets for allocations of resources.  Playgrounds – a closed school playground to be moved for $38,000 to be put in the bus loop.

Pinewood – Had a dance where entry was by donation and all donations were made to the SPCA.  DJ company donated services because it was a fundraiser.  Family Fun Night was very well attended.

Spruceland – Principal, Anjula Corbin will be leaving and the Traditional School Principal will be the Principal of the new Spruceland Traditional School.

Edgewood – nothing to report.

 

Q to Don – What happened to the School Closure Transition Plan?  Where is School Stores.

General Discussion:  Much discussion about the Modular buildings that are to be installed at Malaspina and Glenview.  They are fully funded by Provincial Government for the use of kindergarten children as all-day K is implemented in September.  District has applied for 5 and knows it has 2 so far.  Seems ridiculous that we are adding out-buildings to schools when all the west-end schools are at or over capacity and we have an empty school (Gladstone) in the middle of all of them.  ECHE suggests a letter-writing campaign to George Abbott to change the funding formula so this type of thing isn’t deemed necessary.

 

Stakeholders Invited in at 7:40 pm.

(b) Reports

DPAC Chair Report – Don Sabo – see attached.  Discussed benefits of electronic signage at schools and encouraged it as a fundraising effort.

Treasurer’s Report – Chris Finke – see attached.  Expenditures ahead – BCCPAC Spring Conference – will come out of gaming grants.

Superintendent’s Report – Brian Pepper not in attendance but speaking notes attached.

Trustee Report – Lyn Hall present in place of Lois Boone.  At Board Meetings they are now going to try to highlight the many positives in the district.  Really want the press to pick up on these.

(i)                 RCMP Academy was well attended;

(ii)               ICBC Your Add Here Campaign was won by a young lady at CHSS;

(iii)             missed Kathy Hughes’ presentation on FAS.

(iv)             Policy and Governance – minor revisions made for separate and private schools assisting students’ transition into G8.

(v)               Bylaw #1, minor revisions – discussion around revising entire thing but will be put on back burner for now.

(vi)             Graduation Ceremony at Baldy Hughes – Peter Goodall runs it.  Folks get Dogwood  through Centre for Learning Alternatives – 26 graduates this year.

(vii)           Career Tech Program – in conjunction with CNC – believes it is best in the province.  Now not enough applicants – funding is stable but can’t seem to attract folks.  Tim Power is retiring but wants to come up with a plan to revitalize the program or shore it up before he leaves.

Questions from the floor about Bylaw #1, the sense of installing Modulars, what to do when schools are full, discussion around new school building in new developments (will not happen now).

PGDTA Report – Matt Pearce

(i)                 George Abbott made an appearance at the 95th BCTF AGM – this is the first time in 12 years that a Min. of Ed. has attended.  Hopefully a sign of the thawing of the relationship.

(ii)               Declining enrolment has ended in BC as a whole – there were 2500 more students this year and 290 less teachers – this means class sizes are up.

(iii)             Locally there is concern from rural high schools in Valemount, McKenzie and McBride.  There are not enough students to cover the costs of a teacher for a course – students are doing distance education, and the specialist teachers are leaving, so there is no proper support for the distance ed. courses.  Of 22 kids that signed up for a DE course, only 2 completed it – a 9% success rate.  This speaks to the problems of this type of learning and indicates that their opportunities are extremely reduced.

PGPVA Report – Cindy Heightman

(i)                 School Organization is beginning – planning for next year and making best projections they can for Fall in April – is usually completely different in September but they try their very best with the numbers they have.

(ii)               Ministry has extended the satisfaction survey to determine parent perceptions of their school for Grade 4, 7 and 10 students.  Get school code from Principal.

(iii)             School Planning Councils – we need parents involved – plans are changing as we move to the inquiry approach and research-based practices.

CUPE Report – Lorraine Prouse

(i)                 School Org is a stressful time because of layoffs.  Lot less stressful this year with only one school closure (Traditional).

(ii)               Bargaining has come to a complete stop.

(iii)             Rural Saskatchewan has low numbers of students but these students are fully educated – perhaps BC should look to Saskatchewan for answers to the rural school shortcomings indicated by Matt.

5(d) Parent Involvement Committee – Cara needs to leave so report now.

(i)                 Concentrating on new PAC’s

(ii)               Anti-bullying workshop – Cara purchased video on bullying – would like a forum on bullying in the Fall with all partner groups.  Parents need to be involved in solution – making.  Will be needing volunteers.  Need dates for video and Van Bien availability.  DPAC will preview.

EPPC Report – Chris Finke

(i)                 Three new courses proposed – soccer, outdoor ed and one other – taken to the Board.

(ii)               (ii)  March 15th was last meeting and update was given on apprenticeship programs and others; RCMP Youth Academy, Skills Canada, Heavy Metal Rocks, BC Ambulance Ride Along Program – can’t ride along anymore, Guided Tours of Pulp Mills, Natural Resources

(iii)             (iii) Secondary School Apprenticeship program – $50,000 towards this but lacking sponsors for kids to apprentice with. (iv)  Shelley Niemay gave presentation on 5 learning foci – report attached.

ESC Report – next meeting next week

Policy and Governance – nothing to report

6(a) Announcements/New Business

(i)         How do we increase PAC involvement?  Want to raise DPAC and PAC in the media.  The Volunteer Fair at the Mall – thinking of putting up a booth here and looking at costs for advertising through other media outlets.

College Heights suggests video presentation and info. put in newsletters

(ii)        Communities that Care Presentation – excellent.

(iii)       Need PAC’s to fill out proxy voting forms and fax down to BCCPAC and let DPAC know.  We currently have 20 PAC’s and the DPAC as members of BCCPAC.  Resolutions may change but spirit of resolution must remain.

(iv)       Jacqueline Dockray puts name forward to be 2nd rep at the BCCPAC Conference and AGM along with Sarah Holland from the DPAC Executive.

 

Motion by ECHE:  The PGDPAC #57 appoints Sarah Holland and Jacqueline Dockray as their representatives attending the BCCPAC Spring Conference and AGM and that all reasonable expenditures be covered.

LDB seconds the motion.

 

Possible alternates are Cliff MacLachlan and Dennis Fudge.

 

(v)        Notice of DPAC AGM to be held on May 9th at Van Bien Training Centre.

 

(vi)       Action Item – need to look at Constitution and Bylaws to see what requirements there are around executing elections.

 

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn by Lac des Bois at 9:40 pm.  Next meeting to be held on May 9th, 2011 at 7:00 pm.

 

 

Proxy Voting for BCCPAC

http://www.bccpac.bc.ca/UserFiles/File/2011springAGM/AGM%20%20PROXY%20FORM-%202011.pdf

Two DPAC members will be attending the BCCPAC AGM, Sarah Holland and Jacqui Dockray. We encourage all BCCPAC members who aren’t attending the AGM to fill out the proxy vote forms with those names, fax them down to BCCPAC at 604-687-4488 (or email them to info@bccpac.bc.ca), and also provide the form to DPAC. Forms can be dropped off at the DPAC box at the school board office, faxed to Sarah Holland at (250) 614-1316, or emailed to info@sd57dpac.ca.

From the Proxy instructions:

3.  All proxy forms must be completed and signed by two members of that member’s PAC/DPAC executive in order for an authorized delegate to exercise Regular Member voting rights.

4.  In order to allow for the efficient operation of the Annual General Meeting, members are encouraged to mail, fax, or scan and email completed proxy forms to the BCCPAC office  in advance.  Proxy forms received in this manner no later than April 22, 2011 at 4:30pm, will be verified and registered by staff in advance of the AGM. Voting cards for  these proxies may be picked up by the authorized delegate at the Proxy Room with proof of identity. Confirmation of proxy forms that are submitted in advance will be sent within three days of receipt and registration to the Executive officers who signed the form.  If you do not receive confirmation please contact the office.

5.  Proxy forms not received by April 22, 2011 are required to be delivered to the Proxy Room  at the venue  (which will be open during the Spring Conference) in order to receive a voting card to participate at the AGM.   Please note that as proxy forms need to be validated and processed before they can be exchanged for voting cards, BCCPAC cannot guarantee that proxy forms received after 5:00pm on April 29, 2011 will be processed and exchanged for voting cards in time for the start of the AGM.

6.  The delegate carrying your proxy should be aware of how your council wishes its vote to be cast (a Voting  Instruction Form  is available on the BCCPAC website).  Members should be aware that new information frequently comes to light during the debate on a motion.  Please be aware that by authorizing a delegate and/or authorizing the transfer of  your proxy you are assigning your voting right to the individual who holds your proxy at the time of any vote.  BCCPAC has no way of guaranteeing that the proxy holder will vote the way your council wishes.

Notice of Annual General Meeting

Attention all Council Member Parent Advisory Committees:

Your District Parent Advisory Council will be holding an annual general meeting on May 9, 2011. This meeting will take place at 7:00 p.m. at the Van Bien Training and Development Centre, 311 Wilson Crescent.
We ask that all School District 57 Parent Advisory Committees send an appointed representative to this AGM as important electoral business will take place. Up for election are the following DPAC Executive Positions: Chairperson; Vice-Chairperson; Secretary; Treasurer; District Associate; and up to three (3) Directors at Large.
The agenda for the Annual General Meeting will be posted on our website one week prior to the meeting taking place.

BC Northern Crime Prevention Symposium – April 16, 2011

Carissa Hornoi, the head of the Community Policing Office in Prince George, is interested in passing along information on this upcoming event to the school district PAC groups:

PGRegistrationForm2011

PGProgram_FinalPackage

Community Policing has been on the steering committee for the BC Crime Prevention Association (BCCPA) Northern Region Training Symposium which is being held on Saturday April 16th.   This event is geared toward the community at large including youth.  See attachments for detailed session descriptions and registration information.

 

For more information:

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/article/20110406/PRINCEGEORGE0101/304069977/pushing-the-community-39-s-crime-buttons

Superintendents report for April 2011

2011.04.04 (must have been an email problem, as notes were only received after 11pm)

SUPERINTENDENT’S SPEAKING NOTES
District Parent Advisory Council Meeting
1.    Student Transfer Process:  parents should expect to receive information related to transfer requests made earlier on our district online transfer program in the next several days.  Please contact the school next week if you have not been contacted about your transfer request.

2.    School Organization: Principals are currently preparing staffing and supplies organization/budget for the 2011-2012 school year.  Parent Advisory Council presidents may wish to contact principals for a status report at an upcoming PAC meeting.

3.    International Education: International education contributes an estimated $1.8 billion to the economy of British Columbia. This makes International Education the 5th largest industry in B.C. Of this total, approximately $24 million is generated directly in Northern BC, creating 250 jobs for the region. This is a significant and growing industry which is critical to the growth and future
Prosperity of all of British Columbia and which has the potential to address some of the short? and long?term demographic challenges faced by the regions in BC. The presence of colleges, universities, and school districts with large international student populations create great opportunities for northern communities.

School District #57 is expecting approximately 42 fee paying International students in September of 2011.

4.    Bargaining 2011: Several union partners are now in the early stages of collective agreement bargaining with the employer.  Some bargaining is done at the local level but the majority of bargaining involves the British Columbia Public Sector Employers Association, who represents British Columbia Boards of Education in this complex process.

5.    Provincial Examinations: In order to graduate, secondary school students must complete specified courses in Grades 10, 11 and 12, and write at least the following five provincial exams:
•    Language Arts 10
•    Science 10
•    Mathematics 10 (Essentials, Applications or Principles)
•    Social Studies (Social Studies 11, Civics 11 or First Nations 12)
•    Language Arts 12 (English 12 or Communications 12)
Other provincial exams are optional.

For more information regarding provincial exams, please access this website:  http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/

6.    Reminder – Schedule of Fees and Deposits 2010-2011 *Sent to parents in September 2010 re Valedictory Ceremonies:  Most schools with grade 12 students offer a valedictory ceremony near year’s end. The participation in such ceremonies is optional. Students who wish to participate will be expected
to pay the shared cost of such a ceremony.

Parents of students in grade 12 should be checking with son’s/daughter’s school counselor prior to the end of April to ensure their child is eligible to participate in the school’s valedictory ceremony!

7.    Policy 1240 Provision of Volunteer Services: Volunteers make valued and appreciated contributions to enhancing student success, the enjoyment of school and enriching school climate. This policy sets out the manner and conditions in which volunteers may become involved in school life.

The period between April and June usually offers many opportunities for parents to be involved in school sponsored activities – please review this policy as a criminal record check is a critical component of the volunteer process!

8.    Communities That Care (CTC) founder/developer/researcher, Dr Richard Catalano visited Prince George last week to work with the CTC Board.  Approximately 100 parents and interested community members attended Dr. Catalano’s public presentation.

CTC is a long-term, evidence-based approach to crime prevention that targets six adolescent behavior problems: criminal involvement, violence, substance misuse, school failure, teen pregnancy and anxiety and depression.  This youth-focused strategy to enhance public safety is an integral part of the City of Prince George’s Integrated Community Sustainability Plan.

Approximately 3000 students in our school district completed a survey and identified a number of positive things:
a.    High levels of family attachment
b.    A larger than average percentage of youth report believing in the concept of right and wrong.
c.    Many youth report having opportunities and rewards for positive involvement within the community and family, and especially within schools.  Dr. Catalano indicated that kids like school and schools are Prince George’s strongest asset in this process.  A huge THANK YOU to our staff and educational partners!!!!!

DPAC Meeting Monday, April 4th, at 7pm

Elluminate link for people attending meeting remotely!

https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=&password=M.2F33BFFA6BD946C4E02277236B259A

A reminder that DPAC will be holding it’s monthly meeting this coming Monday, April 4th, at 7:00 pm at the Van Bien Training & Development Center.

DPAC Income Statement February 2011

DPAC February 2011 Event Report

DPAC Minutes – March 2011

AGENDA DPAC GENERAL MEETING April 2011

EPPC Meeting Report – March 15-2011

DPAC March 2011 Event Report

DPAC Income Statement March 2011

DPAC Chairperson Report April 2011

AGENDA DPAC GENERAL MEETING – MONDAY, APRIL 4, 2011

7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre

 

1.               Adoption of Agenda

2.               Adoption of March 7, 2011 Meeting Minutes

3.               PAC Networking

4.               Reports

(a)                DPAC Chair Report

(b)               Treasurer’s Report

(c)                Superintendent Report

(d)               Trustee Report

(e)               PGDTA Report

(f)                 PGPVPA Report

(g)                CUPE Report

(h)               DSAC Report

 

(5 – 10 minute coffee /Snack break)

5.               Committee Reports

(a)                EPPC Committee Report – Chris Finke (Alternate:  Don Sabo)

(b)               Education Services Committee Report– Stephen Shannon (Alternate:  Dennis Fudge)

(c)                Policy/Governance Committee Report –  Don Sabo (Alternate: Dennis Fudge)

(d)               Parent Involvement Committee – Cara Vandekraats

 

6.               Announcements/New Business

(a)                Communication / Parent Recruitment

(b)               Invitation for stakeholders to join Parent Involvement Committee

(c)                BCCPAC Resolutions / Proxy Voting Procedures

(d)               Motion to send  DPAC Representatives to BCCPAC  & Authorize Travel Expenditures

(e)               Notice of upcoming DPAC Annual General Meeting; May 9, 2011

 

7.               Other Business

(a)          Other

8.               Agenda items for next meeting

9.               Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre.

Schedules

–          Minutes of March 7, 2011 Meeting

–          DPAC Chair Report

–          EPPC Report

–          Treasurer Reports (2)

A message from Northern Interior Communities Association

I just wanted to remind you that the deadline for PAC and DPAC Community Gaming Grant applications is from April 1 – June 30 with notification of the results of your application by September 30. It is a quick and easy application so be sure to get it in as soon as possible! I have attached the application and you can also complete the process online. Here is the link: https://www.gaming.gov.bc.ca/gaming/common/Welcome.do?start=true

 

I also want to let you know that the $15 million boost to gaming grants announced last week means good things for you as well! I’m not sure what it translates into for DPAC groups but for the PACs it is a 25% increase (or $5 per child).

 

If you have the contact info for the PACs in town could you forward this on to them? We only have two that are members of NICA.

 

If you need any assistance with your applications please contact me!

 

 

 

Christine Hauff BSc.

Coordinator

 

 

 

Northern Interior Communities Association

214 – 1600 3rd Avenue

Prince George, BC V2L 3G6

Phone: 250-562-2553

Fax: 250-562-2564

Website: www.northernica.org