DPAC is excited for the start of the 2021-2022 school year and classes starting up across SD57 and BC. Across the province and district Communicable Disease Plans local Safety Plans have been reviewed and updated, and protocols are in place to ensure a successful entry for all students this month. DPAC has been actively involved with SD57 in consultations and planning for the 2021-22 school year. If you have any questions or concerns about the safety protocols or plans in place at your school please reach out to your school administrator(s).
For more details about the updated Communicable Disease Safety Plan for SD57 please go the school district website: https://www.sd57.bc.ca/
For additional Recovery Plan Resources for the 2021-2022 school year please see the BCCPAC website which has key documents important for parents for the upcoming year
DPACs first meeting of the year will be a hybrid meeting on Monday September 13 @ 6:30pm in person at Van Bien Training Centre AND online. This year our DPAC is trying something new – every month we will have a theme we will be exploring in more detail and will be the focus of the month. For September our theme is Advocacy. We will have representatives from the district, board, rights and stakeholders join us at 7:30pm for presentations around the theme of Advocacy. We anticipate a large attendance as these meetings offer insights and support to PACs and parents navigating the school system.
Remember September 30 is the new National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and it is also Orange Shirt Day to honour the Indigenous children who were sent away to residential schools in Canada. We encourage all PACs and parents to learn more about the history of those schools and will be sharing resources and ideas on how to do so. So please wear orange, explore what Truth & Reconciliation means and remember that every child matters!
DPAC is here for you! Please reach out to us at any time for information, support or to get involved via our email email@example.com.
We want to hear your voice!!! The SD57 District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC) is hosting a first ever virtual Town Hall with PG City Community Groups via Zoom this Monday June 7th @ 7:00pm to explore and discuss the issues and impacts of increasing traffic on our schools, families, and the surrounding communities.
What are your experiences as parents around traffic, safety, and commuting issues at our schools in SD57??
We want to know! We will be discussing:
- Safety and traffic: What are the experiences from your school and community?
- Barriers: What prevents you, your child, or family from walking or bicycling to school?
- Solutions: What do you see as potential solutions or interventions to improve the traffic and safety issues currently being experienced at your school? What changes do you see that would improve safety and provide better commuting options for students?
- Challenges: What infrastructure challenges have you experienced? Provide specific examples of sidewalks, crosswalks, crossing lights, etc.
We have an awesome panel of City & Community Groups who will be attending Monday’s Town Hall including:
- Mayor Lyn Hall representing the City of Prince George
- Fire Chief John Iverson – Prince George Fire Department
- Dave Bradshaw – City’s Manager of Transportation and Technical Services and/or Chris Vliegenthart, Transportation Supervisor
- Tracey James – Manager of BCAA
- A representative from the Traffic Division for RCMP Superintendent Shaun Wright
- Dane Greenwell – Urban Director PG Cycling Club & Go By Bike Week Coordinator for Prince George
- Doug MacDonald – ICBC Road Safety Coordinator for Prince George
Also, we will have SD57 Representatives attending Monday’s Town Hall including:
- Acting Superintendent of Schools – Cindy Heitman
- Representative from the SD57 Board of Trustees/School Board
- President of the PG District Teachers Association/PGDTA – Joanne Hapke
- President of the Principals & Vice-Principals Association of PG – Kelly Johansen
- President of CUPE for SD57 – Karen Wong
- And others
During the Town Hall we will be using the app Slido (which you can access on any mobile device or via your computer) for participants to ask live questions, participate in live polls, and provide your thoughts and feedback during this event. The Slido link will be provided at the start of the meeting.
So either email us questions in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org or ask them live using Slido during the meeting as well. See you there!
The meeting starts at 6:30pm with guests joining at 7pm.
Join Zoom Meeting https://ca01web.zoom.us/j/65674887171?pwd=NmxKbGtYb2ZvU2c0VW53MFFISlZEdz09
Meeting ID: 656 7488 7171