WE@SEL * APRIL

WE@SEL * APRIL

PARENTS OF ELEMENTARY STUDENTS * STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES

HELLO ALL.

April is here!

Below is a tip sheet for parents on helping your children make friends, a really helpful article on child anxiety, activities locally, song and video. Please take a look at the Parent Toolkit site that was posted recently to help parents “navigate your child’s personal journey from kindergarten through highschool.” It looks like a good go-to site. Also, some activities for kids of all ages at the public libraries.

Enjoy the flowers popping up!

Linda Campbell

school counsellor

https://www.smore.com/eqpru-we-sel-april?ref=email

Seeking People for Executive Board – Nominating Committee

The District Parent Advisory Council will be conducting our annual elections for executive  positions in May.  The positions that are available are the following:

  • Chair
  • Vice-chair
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
  • District Associate
  • Directors at Large

If you are interested in running for any of these positions please contact Chris Finke and/or Darlene Campbell indicating which position you are interested in running for.  If you would like a description of the duties for these positions, please let us know.

darlenecampbell@bccpac.bc.ca  or cfinke49@gmail.com

Are you interested in attending the BCCPAC conference and AGM?

The conference and AGM will be held in Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, April 30th to May 3rd. More information on the conference available here: http://bccpac2015springconferenceandagm.weebly.com/

If you are interested in attending, DPAC has some funding that can be used to send people. We would ask that you put your reasons for wanting to attend in writing, preferably send to exec@sd57dpac.ca, and then a decision will be made at the April 13th general meeting. We would also ask that you attend the Resolutions workshop, which will be held Saturday, April 11th, starting at 11am. More detail here: http://sd57dpac.ca/2015/03/bccpac-resolutions-workshop/

Don’t forget to register for the workshop, as otherwise we won’t be able to feed you lunch!

 

 

DRAFT minutes from March 2015 Meeting

DPAC MINUTES FOR March 9th, 2015
7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre

Attendees:
DPAC Executive: Sarah Holland (Chair), Chris Finke (Vice Chair), Gillian Burnett (Treasurer), Darlene Campbell (District Associate & BCCPAC Rep)
Partner Groups: Brian Pepper, Superintendent; Brenda Hooker, Trustee; Tina Cousins, PGDTA;

1. Adoption of Agenda
Unanimous consent

2. Adoption of Feb 2nd, 2015 Minutes
Adopted as amended (Henyu misspelled)

3. PAC Networking
• Internet Safety – great success
• Bear Trail at Nukko being looked at
• Various Fundraising intiatives including Annual Raffle at HP which raises $15-$17 thousand
• Leadership Day at College Heights
• Canada Post – has grants available for $15,000 (?)
• Tom Schimmer presentation – 16 people attended
• DPAC needs a secretary and DPAC website technician

4. Reports
(a) DSAC Report – not present
(b) CUPE Report – not present – will come in April – hiring CUPE staff like crazy
(c) PGDTA Report – Back into groove – nose to grindstone time of the year. Part of the CWG curriculum was designed by teachers in PG; FA at UNBC on strike – PGDTA there to support.
(d) PGPVPA Report – Professional Learning taking place – Supervision for Learning – 3 people from across the province work together to improve practice – get together for face2face meetings too. Conferences: Whistler – national and provincial conferences – both chaired by PG Principals and a mini-conference; Well involved in committees provincially and in NID’s. Principals get involved in Learning Team Grants sometimes; collaboration within schools, and would like to tie it in within Families of Schools. Principals support teachers supporting students.
(e) PEA Report – not present
(f) Superintendent Report – see attached report – Every school in district is involved in Strategic Planning; Budgets; Something exciting coming up? No vandalism during CWG – positive experience all around. Criteria for having VP’s in schools: Tier 1 Schools must have them; VP’s in the 4 largest schools.
(g) Trustee Report – see attached report

5. Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland) – see attached report
b) Treasurers Report (Chris Finke) – see attached report
c) BCCPAC Report (Dennis Fudge) – Resolutions and nomination booklets are online – conference schedule done; Sarah invited to BCCPAC committee – accountability framework to replace SPC model

Presentation by Walter Sorokovsky, Apprenticeship Advisor Prince George, Industry Training Association: Raise awareness of the apprenticeship system and let people know it is a choice. Consists of 15-20% technical training and 80% work-based training and a Red Seal exam at the end.

6. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) Grant Requests – none
b) Fall Conference Planning – Darlene to put together Doodle request for committee meeting

7. Advising School District
a) Education Services report (Steve Shannon) – not present
b) EPPC Committee Report (Darlene Campbell) – see report
c) Policy and Governance report (Sarah Holland) – Revisions to leave of Absence policy for teachers
d) Calendar committee report – no committee – 2016 two weeks beginning March 14th; 2017 two weeks beginning March 13th.
e) Expanded Committee of the Whole (ECOW – moo) (Gillian and Dennis) – meeting tomorrow
g) Suggestions for School Board Report – none
8. Other Business
a) BCCPAC Conference – looking for expressions of interest in attending by April 13th
b) BCCPAC Resolutions & election planning meeting – April 11th beginning at 11 am, lunch provided
c) Nominating Committee for DPAC elections in May – Chris and Darlene – all positions available.
Motion (Dennis Fudge): To provide a bottle of wine and a laptop to the person who becomes secretary
Second (Jacqui Dockray) Motion Carried.
9. Agenda items for next meeting…
Meeting adjourned 9:09 pm – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 13th , 7:00 pm, Van Bien TC

BCCPAC Resolutions and elections

The 2015 resolutions and nominations book is here: http://bccpac.bc.ca/sites/default/files/media/resolution_and_nomination_book.pdf

PACs who are members may cast a vote on these resolutions, and for the board of directors of BCCPAC.

PACs may cast their either by attending, or by supplying someone attending with their voting proxy: http://bccpac2015springconferenceandagm.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/4/3/26435764/2015_proxy_form.pdf

DPAC strongly encourages voting, in order to increase our voice from the North. We will be providing our PACs with names to write in, as representatives, and will be collecting these proxies ASAP.

Find out more about the proxy voting process here: what the heck is a proxy

 

The following PACs are currently members of BCCPAC:

Beaverly Elementary
College Heights Elementary (Ecole)
College Heights Secondary
DPAC SD#57 Prince George
Duchess Park Secondary
Edgewood Elementary
Foothills Elementary
Giscome Elementary
Glenview Elementary
Heather Park Elementary
Heritage Elementary
Highglen Montessori Elementary
Hixon Elementary School
Lac des Bois (Ecole)
Mackenzie Secondary
Malaspina Elementary
Morfee Elementary
Nukko Lake Elementary
Nusdeh Yoh
Peden Hill Elementary
Pineview Elementary
Prince George Secondary
Quinson Elementary
Southridge Elementary
Spruceland Traditional
Van Bien Elementary
Vanway Elementary

 

BCCPAC Resolutions Workshop

Join us at a resolutions workshop to discuss how to vote at the provincial BCCPAC Conference.

More info on AGM: http://bccpac2015springconferenceandagm.weebly.com/agm.html

Agenda:

  • Nominations
  • Resolutions

  

Why attend?

Various school PACs in this district are members of BCCPAC, and have the right to vote at the AGM. DPAC will be sending representatives, and can vote for members by proxy at the AGM. PACs may wish to give specific instructions to proxy holders on how to vote, or may wish to generally educate themselves about some of the provincial issues that PACs will be discussing. 

Plus, we’ll feed you lunch if you register! 

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/prince-george-dpac-bccpac-resolutions-workshop-2015-tickets-16292135215

 

Who can attend?

Any parent in the district. Your PAC can only vote if you’re a member of BCCPAC, but we encourage all parents to be informed.

 

Is my PAC a member of BCCPAC?

If you’re a member of BCCPAC, you should be receiving notices from BCCPAC. 

Any questions?

Please email info@sd57dpac.ca

School Counselor – March Newsletter

https://www.smore.com/kxsgs-we-sel-in-march

Hello All!

March is motoring along and we are heading into spring. I hope you had a nice break, wherever you spent it! Students have been telling me of watching the wonderful fireworks and activities of our Canada Winter Games in Prince George.

However, judging by the “cute” hairdo’s and suntans, not everyone stayed home over the holidays!

This flyer has resources on conversations with your child, teaching life skills, dealing with the stress of moving, and more. Social emotional learning skills lead to school and life success.

Linda Campbell

school counsellor

Big image

Agenda for March 9 General DPAC Meeting

Participant link for webconference (view meeting remotely): https://ca-sas.bbcollab.com/m.jnlp?sid=7345&password=M.EFDA2E859DB40F009060BE5389EF0C

Agenda – DPAC General Meeting
Monday, March 9, 2015, 7:00 p.m., Van Bien Training Centre
1. Call to order, Secretary
2. Adoption of agenda and Adoption of Minutes
3. PAC Networking and discussion (To increase the effectiveness of this section of the agenda, we suggest that people report on ideas that may be of interest to other PACs, or concerns that other PACs could help with.)
7:30pm – Partner groups enter

Short Presentation by Walter Sorokovsky, Apprenticeship Advisor Prince George, Industry Training Association
4. Partner Group Presentations (five minutes each – questions may be taken about general topics)
a) DSAC Report (Robin Keahey, Hayley Jakubowski)
b) CUPE Report (Karen Wong)
c) Prince George District Teachers Association Report (Tina Cousins, Richard Giroday)
d) Prince George Principal and Vice Principals Association Report (Dan Watt)
e) Professional Employees Association (Nicole Haines)
f) Superintendent Report (Brian Pepper)
g) Trustee Report (Brenda Hooker)
(5 – 10 minute snack break, opportunity for further partner group discussions)
5. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland)
b) Treasurer’s Report (Chris Finke)
c) BCCPAC Report (Darlene Campbell)
6. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) Grant requests
b) Fall conference planning – committee to meet
7. Advising School District
a) Education Services Committee Report (Steve)
b) Education Programs and Planning Committee Report (Chris, Darlene)
c) Policy and Governance (Sarah, Dennis)
d) Ad hoc Technology Committee (Steve)
e) Calendar Committee
f) Expanded committee of the whole, schedule and representatives
g) Suggestions for School Board Report

8. Other Business
a) BCCPAC Conference – looking for expressions of interest in attending – April 30th to May 3rd (attendees to be selected at April 13th DPAC general meeting)
b) BCCPAC Resolutions & election planning meeting – April 11th – starting at 11am, lunch provided
c) Nominating committee for DPAC elections in May
9. Agenda items for next meeting
10. Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 13th, at 7:00 pm, Van Bien.

DRAFT minutes for February 2, 2015 meeeting

Meeting Notes Feb 2015

SKM_454e15020219070

DPAC MINUTES FOR February 2, 2015
7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre

Attendees:
DPAC Executive: Sarah Holland (Chair), Gillian Burnett (Recorder), Chris Finke, Steve Shannon, Dennis Fudge, Darlene Campbell, Rob Woodsl
Partner Groups: Brian Pepper, Superintendent; Brenda Hooker, Trustee; Richard Giroday, PGDTA; Melissa Hoff, Ab. Ed.
School Reps: Chris Finke – DP Todd; Christine Taylor – Edgewood; Kurien Thomas – Hart Highland; Kim Shannon – Kelly Road; Shauna Connor – Lac Des Bois; Gillian Burnett – Nukko Lake; Charleen Henya – Nusdeh Yoh; Michelle Rolfes – PGSS; Ryan Clarke – Quinson; Jennifer Hicke – Southridge; Dennis Fudge – Spruceland; Rob Woods – Malispina; Darlene Campbell – Duchess Park

1. Call to Order, Secretary
Call for volunteer to record the meeting and prepare minutes. Gillian Burnett from Nukko Lake volunteers.

2. Adoption of Agenda and Minutes
Addition of 8a) Kids to Work and 8b) Raffle Also moved item 6d) to before agenda item 4. Accepted as amended
3. PAC Networking – Introductions, but not a lot happening at this time. Nusdeh Yoh is having a chili night and movie night.
4. Reports
a) DSAC (Robin Keahey, Hayley Jakubowski) – Not in attendance
b) CUPE (Karen Wong) – Unable to attend
c) PGDTA (Richard Giroday) –Teachers have been busy since returning from Christmas break. Finally some normalcy. Only a few days away from second semester in the high schools. “Un” normal spring break this year. It is however an exciting time with the Winter Games – go to their website for more information. $190,000 left in Education Fund (previously LIF) and there have been lots of communications received by PGDTA regarding needs. Not enough support seems to be the theme. HR and PGDTA worked on leave policy and it was very positive. This is a family friendly district that supports their teachers. Having no TTOCs is a common problem that is being addressed, but there are bno solutions yet.
d) PGPVPA (Dan Watt) – Unable to attend due to illness
e) PEA (Nicole Harris) – Not in attendance
f) Superintendent (Brian Pepper) – See attached report
g) Trustee (Brenda Hooker) – January’s public board meeting was very packed because they hadn’t met since November and won’t be meeting again until March. The board will be convening the Expanded Committee of the Whole for budget discussions again this year. Three meetings booked. Brenda takes her role as liason very seriously, so if you have questions or items to share with the board you can call her at 250-961-3659. Board had met with MLAs and they spoke about having a conference held here in Prince George that would focus on rural education. The board does plan to meet with partner groups and learn about the issues important to each. Statigic planning continues.
5. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland) – see attached
b) Treasurer’s Report (Chris Finke) – see attached. Gillian needs the Bell Mobility login for invoice to the district for annual funding. $376 in Accounts Receivable is an old travel reimbursement expected from BCCPAC. ACTION – Darlene will try once more to receive the reimbursement. Add to next agenda.
c) BCCPAC Report (Darlene Campbell) – They have been working on a manual for Bullying and the steps a parent should take. Dennis is reviewing this. Although the hope is to have it ready by the AGM, it likely won’t be ready. AGM and Spring Conference is scheduled April 30 – May 2. Think about going. Darlene will be running for the position of Director again. Sarah has been working with the website committee.
6. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) Grant Requests –Questions regarding grant applications and grants in question. Are they effective? Should we add another type of grant? Look at other ways of providing funding that benefits PACs and parents.
b) PAC Café & Foodsafe – PAC Café had 20-21 participants and went really well . Definitely use Civic Center in the future. Everything was great.
c) Request from Williams Lake –DPAC has received a request from Williams Lake DPAC asking if we are interested in having Gary Anaka speak in September? Travel costs can be shared if more districts are interested in hosting him. Some general discussion.
MOTION
That DPAC pay to bring Gary Anaka to Prince George in September.
CARRIED
d) Melissa Hoff, Internet Safety – Melissa gave a presentation on what the aboriginal education department offers in the district. She also handed out poster/flyers for an upcoming event. Ab Ed is hosting Darren Laur for a workshop on Internet/Social Media Safety and Digital Citizenship for Parents at Vanier Hall on March 5th at 7pm. Everyone is welcome.
e) Scheduling – resolution workshop- Saturdays work best. Try for March 28th of April 11th.
ACTION – Darlene to contact SD57 and see about booking Van Bien. Some concern about whether resolutions would be available on time.
f) Potential Speaker for March – Industry Training Authority (youth in trade) –Questions regarding scope of discussion. More about barriers to youth entering trades. DPAC would support such a speaker.
g) April Event – Skip this and focus on Fall Conference
h) Fall Conference – Committee composed of Darlene Campbell, Dennis Fudge, Sarah Holland and Charleen Henyu. Jennifer Bandle-McCall will offer consultation on marketing this event.

HOUSEKEEPING – Need to move April and May’s DPAC meetings to the second Monday of those months. ACTION – Darlene to move our bookings for Van Bien when booking Resolution Workshop

7. Advising School District
a) Education Services Committee Report (Steve) – See attached
b) Education Programs and Planning Committee Report (Chris, Darlene) –See attached
c) Policy and Governance (Sarah/Dennis) – Bylaw 1 and Respectful Workplace passed
d) Ad Hoc Technology Committee (Steve) – nothing happening at this time
e) Expanded Committee of the Whole – Gillian Burnett has shown interest. Dennis Fudge also interested, Rob Woods also interested. Gillian and Dennis will sit on this committee with Rob as an alternate if needed.
f) Suggestions for School Board Report –None at this time
8. Other Business
a) Kids to Work – Other districts run a program that entails taking kids to the workplace for the day to experience what wok is like when finished school. Our district is exploring the possibility of doing this. It would probably be a grade 9 program. Lots of questions need to be answered before the start something like this, but they are beginning the process of gathering information and asking questions..
b) Raffle – Edgewood had some questions about running raffles. suggestions put forward from many. Key item for running a raffle is obtaining a gaming license

9. Agenda items for next meeting – none at this time
10. Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 9th, at 7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre.