DRAFT – DPAC MINUTES FOR September 12th, 2016
7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre
DPAC Executive: Gillian Burnett (Chair), Steve Shannon, Mike Gagel (Vice-Chair), Sarah Holland
Partner Groups: Kelly Johansen (PGPVPA)
School Reps: Jacqueline Dockray – College Heights Elementary, Mandy Levesque – Hart Highlands, Shauna Connor – Lac de Bois, Gillian Burnett – Nukko Lake, Kim Pryschlak – Quinson, Mike Gagel – Southridge, Kim Shannon – Kelly Road Secondary,
1. Call to Order
2. Adoption of Agenda and Minutes
Agenda adopted as written.
Adoption of minutes held for the next meeting.
3. PAC Networking – Nukko Lake has a new principal and teacher, only has 4 divisions but they’re all full. Southridge is full with a waitlist as of early September, has a successful year with their new garden of 6 raised beds, and will be adding 2 more. Southridge is down a division and half of their classes are splits. College Heights Elementary has all split divisions., Quinson had 35 new kids as of August, is up an intermediate division and is currently struggling with unfinished renos to the boiler system. Hart Highlands is down a division. Duchess Park has a big wait list.
4. Partner Group Presentations
a) DSAC – not in attendance
b) CUPE (Karen Wong) – not in attendance.
c) PGDTA (Richard Giroday)- not in attendance
d) PGPVPA (Kelly Johansen)- September is always a busy month, with adjustments to school numbers and classes, interviews and hiring, school plans and learning team/grant planning.
e) Superintendent () – not able to attend.
f) Trustee (Brenda Hooker) – not in attendance. Email report sent.
5. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Gillian Burnett and Sarah Holland) – Sarah Foot resigned as an exective member. 2 executive positions now available. September 29th there will be a meeting with Cindy Heitman on the new curriculum at Van Bien. DPAC will support this event with information on their website and an Eventbrite signup. Information will also be sent out to schools.
b) Treasurer’s Report (Sarah Holland and Gillian Burnett) – The report is a draft and hasn’t been reconciled yet. The DPAC surplus has been successfully spent and there will not be any more PAC Grants available as a result. Also as a result, spending will once again be more closely monitored. Gillian put forth a recommendation that a budget committee be formed. This should be done at the next DPAC meeting with a quorum.
c) BCCPAC Report – Sarah talked to John Bird re: items like conference money but as of August the BCCPAC didn’t really know what was going to happen this year. The BCCPAC may be looking to add members to their committees, so if anyone is interested please contact them.
6. PAC and Parent Assistance –
a) Grant Request – No more.
b) FoodSafe scheduling – online courses becoming available, but DPAC can’t subsidize those. FoodSafe certificates are good for 5 years. Concluded that DPAC would not put on a course this year. If people need to get or renew their certificate, sometimes schools put on Foodsafe for their staff, so they should ask their school administration.
c) PAC Cafe – Get further information about the availability of facilities and revisit at a later date.
d) Conference – Discussed holding larger conferences every second year, and having smaller sessions at Van Bien with DPAC presenters on off years. Smaller conference topics could include: Bylaws/Communications, Treasurer 101, Communication, etc. Discussed charging for all tickets for the full conference with PACs applying for reimbursement upon attendance. Suggested October 29th 1 to 4 pm at Van Bien. Executive to discuss.
7. Advising School District
a) Education Services Committee Report (Steve Shannon) – 2 1/2 pages of projects scheduled to be done this past summer.
Long Range Facilities Plan recommendations:
1) Change the catchment of Kelly Road to include Edgewood (was in Duchess Park’s catchment). Concerns and suggestions included:
• Looks like Kelly Road’s planned new building may be too small to accommodate this increase in students
• Suggested a phased-in approach
• suggested everyone reviews the policy regarding catchment schools
• suggested a trustee attend the school meetings to answer questions
2) McBride Elementary combined with the Secondary school, and the Elementary school closed. A cost breakdown was recommended.
3) Morfee Elementary and Mackenzie Secondary: move 7th grade to into the Secondary school because the Elementary school is full.
School Enhancement Program: SD 57 $500,000 + requests included CHSS heating and ventilation, Valemount Elementary flooring replacement and HVAC for McBride Elementary and Nukko Lake.
Capital Plans: Build replacement building for Kelly Road ($42+ million), DP Todd addition (to eliminate portables) $7.3 million. Nesdeh Y’oh was on this list but they have had their improvements funded by other sources and have been removed from the list.
Carbon Neutral Capital Program: New HVAC applied for by McBride Elementary and Heritage.
b) Education Programs and Planning Committee Report (Mike Gagel) – Not available
c) Policy and Governance (Mike Gagel) – See attached report.
d) Facilities Planning – see a) above
e) Strategic Plan – to be discussed September 13th (as per Brenda Hooker’s report)
f) Suggestions for the School Board Report – See Attached. Also, touch on what’s going on with the strategic plan. What was the result of the self-assessment (as per Brenda Hooker’s report).
8. Election – Director positions. Not held due to lack of quorum.
9. Other Business
a) Buddy Benches – Presentation by Myrna Lemke at the October DPAC meeting.
b) Education Sustainability – Presentation by Mr. Jody Holmes at the October DPAC meeting.
c) Curriculum Changes – September 29th presentation. DPAC to set up an EventBrite for this.
10. Agenda Items for next meeting – none at this time.
11. Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 3rd, 2016 at 7:00 pm at the Van Bien Training and Development Centre.