DPAC meeting minutes Mar 3, 2014
DPAC MINUTES FOR March 3, 2014
7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre
DPAC Executive: Sarah Holland (Chair), Chris Finke (Vice Chair); Gillian Burnett (Treasurer), Steve Shannon (Technical Director), Darlene Campbell (District Associate), and Inge Culhane (Secretary)
Partner Groups: Betty Bekkering, Trustee; Karen Wong, CUPE; Tina Cousins, PGDTA; Faith Mackay, PGPVPA; Holly Kavanaugh, David Ki, PEA; Megan Klitch, Gurkirat Kaurk, Canadian Cancer Society
School Reps: Chris Finke, DP Todd; Inge Culhane, Edgewood; Sarah Holland, Heather Park; Steve and Kim Shannon, Kelly Road; Lotte Andersen, Nukko Lake; Darlene Campbell, Nusdeh Yoh, Duchess; Michelle Rolfes, PGSS; Ryan Clarke, Quinson; Candice Bate, Buckhorn; Jacqueline Dockray, College Heights; Fiona Kier, Glenview; Dennis Fudge, Spruceland;
Absentee School Reps: Hart Highlands; Southridge; Beaverly; Blackburn; College Heights; College Heights Secondary; Ecole Lac des Bois; Foothills; Giscome; Harwin; Heritage; Highglen; Hixon; Mackenzie Secondary; Malaspina; McBride Centennial; McBride Secondary; Morfee; Peden Hill; Pinewood; Ron Brent; Valemount Elementary; Valemount Secondary; Van Bien; Vanway; Westwood; Pineview; Ecole Lac des Bois;
1. Call to order
2. Adoption of Agenda and February 3, 2014 Minutes-
Adopted by unanimous consent.
3. PAC Networking – Introductions
• Heather Park- Safety committee. Space blankets were purchased. Went to good use during fire alarm in -30 weather, especially for those students wearing gym strip.
• College Heights elementary – anti-bullying day, carnival, vice principal allocated to Foothills.
• Nusdeh Yoh- Parking lot garage sale May 24th, June outdoor movie night, Bone game, language club
• PGSS- Semester change, talent show
• Kelly Road- semester change
• DP Todd- Focus on athletics. Sitting students down in front of computers for programing, not enough students for honors program, Jr. Band concert tonight, Jazz Band concert next Tues.
• Duchess park- Parent info night for grade 7 students from feeder schools
• Buckhorn- Have safety blankets as well. Would like to request that the school purchase the bottled water used for sports day early in the year, to have on hand for emergencies.
• Nukko Lake – Olympic festival put on by teachers (parents unaware) PAC usually holds a winter festival for the students.
• Quinson- Principal returned after one month absence
• Spruceland – Nothing to report
4. Guest Presentation – Flavored Tobacco products, Canadian Cancer Society – Power point presentation and flavored tobacco products passed around. Petition circulated.
5. Partner Group Presentations
(a) DSAC Report- (Graeme MacKenzie (KRSS) and Shelby Miller (DPSS)) – Not in attendance.
(b) CUPE Report – (Karen Wong) – Things going well. Collective agreement expires in June. 2014 bargaining committee is formed. Trying to maintain labor peace. Positive moves. Going to Vancouver in April to start things early. Cold weather -please encourage children to go inside or EA’s have to be out in cold weather to supervise.
(c) PGDTA Report – (Tina Cousins) – Handed out info to parents. Strike vote this week. Part of unionized employees position is strike voting. Looking for fairness. Not planning immediate school closures. Provincial issue. Trying to work with School District 57.
(d) PGPVPA Report – (Faith Mackay) March – Leadership standards for Principals and Vice-Principals in BC self assessment tool. Handout provided during meeting. Document is on-line and available for the public.
(e) PEA Report – Holly Kavanaugh/David Ki – School psychologists. Individual service to students. Short workers/recruitment, service pre-school to Grade 12.
(f) Superintendent Report – (Brian Pepper)- Not in attendance.
(g) Trustee Report – (Betty Bekkering)- Spoke to her report. , LGBTQ policy passed, Camp Trapping visit, DP Todd Family meeting, UNBC high achievers,
6. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland) – Spoke to her report. Attached in March agenda package.
b) Treasurers Report (Gillian Burnett) – Spoke to her report. Attached in March agenda package.
c) BCCPAC Report- Darlene Campbell – Resolutions out next week. May 2, 2014 elections (half of the positions are available).
7. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) Grant requests – No new requests. Malaspina will contact Gillian with receipts for their event. Approx $66.00
b) PAC Cafe – April 12, 2014, 11am-2pm at Coast Inn of the North. Registration on website.
c) Fall Conference Committee meeting- March 12, 2014, 7pm 5425 Meadowlark Road
d) Serving our remote members – idea for bringing PAC’s in from outlying communities
MOTION: Jacqui Dockray. 2nd by Gillian Burnett. Invite PAC members from outlying communities of SD 57 to attend a DPAC meeting. Two representatives per school from each community will be allotted travel and accommodations as per policy. All in favor. Motion CARRIED.
8. Advising School District
a) Education Services report (Steve Shannon ) – Spoke to report. Report posted on DPAC website Youth Survey from City. On PG City website.
b) Education Programs and Planning Committee Report (Darlene Campbell) – Unable to make the meeting. Report available on the school district website.
c) Policy and Governance report (Sarah Holland) – Spoke to report attached in March agenda package
d) Expanded Committee of the Whole ( Gillian Burnett & Sarah Holland)- Spoke to report. In March Agenda pkg.
e) Ad hoc Technology committee – MOTION: Darlene Campbell. 2nd Chris Finke. Nominate Steve Shannon to represent DPAC on Ad hoc Technoloy Committee. All in favor. MOTION CARRIED.
f) Suggestions for School Board Report (Sarah Holland) – please email Sarah with ideas. Students will be on Spring Break during Pink shirt day -please ask school district to celebrate it on another day. PAC Cafe info to school trustees.
9. Other Business
a) Nominating committee -MOTION: Sarah Holland. 2nd Darlene Campbell. Nominate Chris Finke and Jacqui Dockray for the nominating committee. All in favor. MOTION CARRIED.
b) Resolution Workshop scheduling – Sunday, April 6, 2014, 11am (lunch included).
c) Media talking points- DPAC hoping for fair and negotiated settlement
d) Spring Fling- 10th Annual North Central Zone Educational Conference, April 4, 2014. Free for PAC and DPAC members. Open to parents. Registration on line.
e) BC Student Voice Conference, March 12, 2014
f) BCCPAC Conference – May 29 to June 2, 2014 in Richmond -attendees, possible date change for June DPAC mtg. Please submit in writing if interested in attending. MOTION: Darlene Campbell. 2nd Chris Finke. Move June DPAC meeting from June 2, 2014 to June 9, 2014. MOTION CARRIED.
10. Agenda items for next meeting… please email Sarah with items. Lunch scheduling for students. Ask District about metrics for anti-bullying/bullying.
Meeting adjourned at 9:51 pm.
Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 7, 2014 at 7:00pm Van Bien training and Development Center.