DPAC MINUTES FOR May 13, 2013
7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre
DPAC Executive: Sarah Holland (Chair), Chris Finke (Vice Chair), Gillian Burnett (Treasurer), Darlene Campbell (District Associate) , Jacqueline Dockray (Director), Steve Shannon (Director) and Inge Culhane (Secretary)
Partner Groups: Brian Pepper, Superintendent; Kate Cooke, Trustee; Lorraine Prouse, C.U.P.E; Matt Pearce, PGDTA; Lori Dennill, PGPVPA;
School Reps: Jacqueline Dockray, College Heights Elementary; Chris Finke, DP Todd; Darlene Campbell, Duchess Park; Inge Culhane, Edgewood; Kim Shannon, Hart Highlands; Shauna Connor, Ecole Lac des Bois; Sarah Holland, Heather Park; Steve Shannon, Kelly Road; Gillian Burnett, Nukko Lake; Darlene Campbell, Nusdeh Yoh; Dennis Fudge, Spruceland; Barb Oke, Vanway; Ray Jacob, Morfee (on-line, Elluminate);
1. Adoption of Agenda – Ask Mr. Pepper about Kindergarten enrollment numbers (that have been released to the press) and why schools are chosen as election voting stations
2. Adoption of April 8, 2013 Minutes
Adopted as circulated. Unanimous consent.
3. PAC Networking
• DP Todd- last PAC mtg April 29th. Report cards went out. Large number on Principal’s list . Prov champions for wheel chair sport. Band competing in Heritage music festival. Grad Ceremony.
• Duchess Park- Scholarship names released. Prom went well. Alcohol on buses – discussion.
• Nusdeh Yoh- $2900 gaming money. Community parking lot sale on May 25th , on school website.
• Edgewood- Sports day in June. Community garage sale May 25th.
• Hart Highlands- Launched website. School family dance. Plant sale, recipe books, track and field.
• Kelly Road- Burger bash. Approx 830 students next year. Northern Learning center. Surplus teachers/possible retirees.
• Heather Park- raffle won by family from Heather Park (enjoyed the trip), hockey academy changing to a course-block fashion (hockey and other activities) New parent at PAC with DPAC experience – perhaps will be the school’s DPAC rep. Discussion about small group fundraising.
• Nukko Lake- PAC volunteer to hand out scholarships and bursaries. PAC mtg on Fri. / Sports Day June 21st.
• Pinewood- Track and field. Sports day.
• Spruceland- Nothing to report at this time
• Lac des Bois- Getting ready for track and field. Jump rope for Heart. Kindergarten numbers posted in paper were inaccurate.
• Van Way – Discussion on how PAC’s fund field trips. Suggestions from other PAC’s – Hart Highlands gives $5 per student at beginning of year. Special requests through Principal from teachers. In September teachers have wish lists. Nukko PAC goes to teachers and sets money aside for each class so it is fair for all students.
(a) DSAC Report – (Jay Khatra) Not present
(b) CUPE Report – (Lorraine Prouse) Missed last mtg (was in Vancouver). April 16-18 took strike vote. 85% in favor. All presidents will meet to discuss next steps. Retiring in June. Last DPAC mtg. See attached.
(c) PGDTA Report – (Matt Pearce) Verbal report – Also had elections. Matt did not run and is returning to classroom. Tina Cousins will be president. Tina and Matt visited Schools (visited 1-2 schools per day). Attended every secondary school and all, but 3, elementary schools. Importance of voting. Impact of shortage of replacement of teachers. Impacts are large at the elementary level. Eg: When an Education Assistant is on holidays and no one is replacing them for that time period. There is lost instructional time due to this. Will meet with trustees on the 22nd regarding this.
(d) PGPVPA Report – (Lori Dennill) see attached. Science Fair discussion. Heritage Fair.
(e) PEA Report (Nicole Haines) – Regrets.
(f) Superintendent Report – (Brian Pepper) See attached. Indigo grant over a period of 3 years. National crime prevention initiative. Mayor put together a task force (modeling actions in the community). Mr. Pepper sits on this task force. Questions for Mr. Pepper : Election voting stations – historical, areas are separate from the schools (eg: gymnasiums), hasn’t been an issue in past, doesn’t cost schools any money, send questions to Mr. Pepper’s office.
Also, regarding Kindergarten enrollment numbers: The numbers differ from on-line registration to individual’s physically bringing paper registrations forms to school district. Discussion about: Disclaimer being added to report? Report both numbers? Best way is to report projected numbers. Numbers don’t really count until September 30th.
Discussion about alcohol on transportation (buses) for Prom events. Not all Prom events are sponsored by the schools/district.
(g) Trustee Report – See attached. (Kate Cooke). Spoke to her report. Discussion about systematic policy review.
5. Elections – Chair, Vice-Chair,Treasurer, Secretary, District Associate, Directors
Chair – Nominations – Sarah Holland, call for further nominations, hearing none, Sarah Holland is elected Chair by acclamation.
Vice-chair – Nominations – Chris Finke, call for further nominations, hearing none, Chris Finke is elected Vice- Chair by acclamation.
Treasurer – Nominations – Gillian Burnett, call for further nominations, hearing none, Gillian Burnett is elected Treasurer by acclamation.
Secretary – Nominations – Inge Culhane, call for further nominations, hearing none, Inge Culhane is elected Secretary by acclamation.
District Associate -Nominations – Darlene Campbell, call for further nominations, hearing none, Darlene Campbell is elected District Associate by acclamation.
Technical Director at Large – Nominations – Steve Shannon, call for further nominations, hearing none, Steve Shannon is elected Technical Director at Large by acclamation.
Director – Nominations – Jacqueline Dockray, call for further nominations, hearing none, Jacqueline Dockray is elected Director by acclamation.
6. Reports from BCCPAC Conference- Darlene Campbell was successful in being elected as a Director on BCCPAC.
Discussion about resolutions and proxies/voting. Reports are on the website. Jacqueline Dockray, Darlene Campbell, Sarah Holland, Dennis Fudge and Inge Culhane gave verbal reports.
7. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland) – Attached in package. Discussion about sprinklers.
b) Treasurers Report (Gillian Burnett) – Attached in package. Proxy voting.
Motion: To reimburse Edgewood and TP Todd half of their BCCPAC fees. (Late paying BCCPAC fees)
Nukko Lake, Seconded by Kelly Road.
All in favor. Motion Carried.
Motion: To reimburse Giscome half of their BCCPAC fees. (Late with Proxy)
Nukko Lake, Seconded by Kelly Road.
All in favor. Motion Carried.
8. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) PAC Planner – nothing to report at this time
b) Grants – Discussion about Highglen filling out Grant application for money from DPAC for year end community BBQ.
9. Advising School District
a) Education Services report (Steve Shannon) – canceled meeting, nothing to report.
b) EPPC Committee Report (Darlene Campbell) – cancelled meeting, nothing to report.
c) Policy and Governance report (Sarah Holland) – Discussion and written in Executive Board report.
d) Expanded Committee of the Whole ( Gillian Burnett & Sarah Holland)- Attached in package.
e) Suggestions for School Board Report (Sarah Holland)- Meeting tomorrow night. Sprinklers in the schools. ECE and School District communicating about gap in Early Childhood education for those who can not attend Strong Start or Ready Set Learn.
10. Other Business
a) October 2013 Conference:
Motion: To Plan for October 2013 Conference with a budget of $3000.00. Nukko Lake, Seconded by Duchess Park . All in favor. Motion Carried.
b) Committee for October 2013 Conference: Darlene Campbell, Sarah Holland, Chris Finke, Gillian Burnett, Dennis Fudge, Inge Culhane
11. Agenda items for next meeting… Food Safe
Meeting adjourned at 10:05pm.
Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 3,2013 at 7:00pm Van Bien training and Development Center.