DPAC MINUTES FOR March 5, 2012
7:00 p.m. Van Bien Training and Development Centre
DPAC Executive: Don Sabo (Chair), Michelle Rolfes, Gillian Burnett (Recorder), Chris Finke, Steve Shannon, Sarah Holland
Partner Groups: Kate Cooke, Trustee; Matt Pearce and Tina Cousins, PGDTA
School Reps: Darlene Campbell, Aboriginal Choice; Colleen Smith, Beaverly; Jacqueline Dockray, Ecole College Heights; Darlene Campbell, Duchess Park; Kim Shannon, Hart Highlands; Sarah Holland, Heather Park; Steve Shannon, Kelly Road; Shauna Connor, Ecole Lac des Bois; Gillian Burnett, Nukko Lake; Michelle Rolfes, PGSS; Ryan Clarke, Quinson; Dennis Fudge, Spruceland
1. Adoption of Agenda
Motion to accept agenda – College Heights
Seconded by – PGSS
Accepted as circulated
2. Adoption of February 6, 2012 Minutes
Motion to accept minutes – Aboriginal Choice
Seconded by – KRSS
3. PAC Networking
- Heather Park earned over $11,000 from the Canucks Raffle (lesson learned – to print more tickets)
- Ecole College Heights earned over $10,000 from their raffle (same lesson – print more tickets next year)
- Beaverly ran a coin drive that earned $2000 for the restoration at Ness Lake
- Spruceland had questions regarding Math Makes Sense and PRIME. Led to discussion about the math programs run in the schools.
- Lac des Bois has been quiet. Did hold a movie night that earned $1000.
- Aboriginal Choice is holding a cultural lunch by donation. Also indicated that reimbursement for BCCPAC membership will be remitted to DPAC.
- Duchess Park is looking for ideas on fundraising opportunities for sports teams and has some concerns over fees for use of the school kitchen.
- Hart Highlands held a cupcake walk for Valentine’s Day and a movie night.
- KRSS reported that 40 students had now registered in the Northern Learning Centre.
- Pinewood held a dance with a portion of the donations raised going to the SPCA
- Nukko Lake is holding a Centennial Meats Fundraiser and shared information about non-Styrofoam take-out containers available from Midway Purnell. Information about both will be provided for the Marketing Place on the DPAC website.
(a) DPAC Chair Report – see attached. Amended to change date to March 5, 2012. Membership commented that the interviews were well done.
(b) Treasurer’s Report – see attached. Explained some difficulty in presenting only information for this year. Expressed thanks for Sarah Holland’s offer to take a look at the Excel worksheets.
MOTION – Spruceland
DPAC to purchase a 12-cup coffee maker from Costco for less than $100.00.
Chris Finke to purchase before the next meeting.
(c) Superintendent Report – Unable to attend. (Sent message earlier in day)
(d) Trustee Report – Sent message that may be late arriving. (given after PGDTA)
- Trustees have been discussing Bill 22 and its ramifications. Have received lots of input from teachers and are asking other stakeholders to provide their views of the issues also.
- Trish Bella has been elected to the BCSTA Board of Directors. Indicated that this was great since she would be able to represent the north.
- Trustees have now completed “training” with Senior Admin.
- Trustees will be meeting March 10th and will be talking about Bylaw 1.
- Anyone wishing to forward information to trustees in encouraged to do so.
Chairperson, Don Sabo, expressed appreciation for the level of debate and preparedness from trustees at the last Public Board meeting. Regardless of how the votes came, indicated that it was an excellent meeting.
(e) PGDTA Report – Provided a copy of Bill 22 and “A Message to Parents from your Teachers” (both attached) Provided explanations regarding several sections of Bill 22. Teachers will be on strike Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as per the LRB ruling. Answered several questions for parents. Encouraged parents to write letters to the Editor, the Minister, or MLA’s about Bill 22. Gave invitation to attend a Rally at the Civic Centre March 7th 6pm.
(f) PGPVPA Report – Unable to attend. (sent message earlier in day)
(g) CUPE Report – Not in attendance
(h) DSAC Report – Not in attendance
5. Committee Reports
(a) EPPC Committee Report – see attached. Discussions held regarding Mining and the Environment Course and CTC program.
(b) Education Services Committee Report – Sarah reported on February’s meeting. Provided information about the discussions regarding Transportation and the DPAC Projection Report. Asked Trustee Cooke to look into the ability of alternates to attend committee meetings as well.
(c) Policy/Governance Committee Report – Haven’t been invited to a committee meeting, but would like to be invited to the committee meeting when the Child Protection Policy is discussed. Asked Trustee Cooke to look into when and why stakeholders invited to Policy Committee meetings. Discussion around Policy 5119.
(d) Environmental Sustainability Committee – Has not met.
(e) DPAC Bylaws and Policy Committee – Provided a copy of the Bylaws with the proposed changes to date. Committee is to meet later this week for continued work on policies. Members asked to review changes and be prepared to vote on them at the April meeting.
6. Announcements/New Business
(a) Teacher Strike Action / Government Legislation – Covered already. Question regarding vote to submit letter from previous meeting. Provided clarification on what that letter was for and why it was not submitted.
(b) Calendar Committee – 101 comments received on website, majority in favour of 2 week Spring Break next year. Citizen also did survey, 970 respondents. 29% voted to cancel Spring Break altogether, 41% for a 2 week Spring Break if free babysitting provided, and 25% voted for 1 week Spring Break.
(c) DPAC Review and Input on Child Protection Policy – see attached. Discussed how much information was included and omitted from our input.
(d) DPAC Letter on Bullying – Don presented a draft letter. Suggestions provided on minor revisions.
(e) District Resource Centre Tour – Held February 16th. Login information available for anyone interested. Very informative and thank you to Carrie Yuen-Lo.
(f) DPAC funding for PACs Report – Haven’t met. Hope to meet March 15th or 16th.
(g) BCCPAC Conference May 25-27 Expression of Interest :Appoint Committee- Discussed the need for a delegate selection committee.
Motion – Heather Park
To have Jacqui and Chris act as the Delegate Selection Committee.
Discussion regarding the number of members on each committee.
Members to submit expression of interest to DPAC Executive. Will be forwarded to committee.
7. Other Business
(a) Nominations for DPAC Executive – Information regarding Bylaw 5: Election of Executive Officers attached.
Motion – Heather Park
To have Jacqui and Darlene act as the Nominating Committee.
8. Agenda items for next meeting
BCCPAC resolution workshop.
9. Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre.