VICTORIA – Christmas has arrived early for parent advisory councils (PACs) in 102 elementary and middle schools across 31 school districts, as nearly $2.4 million in playground funding is being returned to PACs that have recently purchased playground equipment for their kids.
School District 57 (Prince George)
- École Lac des Bois – $14,541
- Heritage Elementary – $15,956
- In September, the Province committed $8 million over two years for new playgrounds, reimbursements for recently purchased playgrounds with PAC contribution, and playground upgrades, repairs and replacements.
- The first round of funding supported 40 new playgrounds for elementary and middle schools that were identified as not having a playground but wanting one, for a total of $2 million.
- Adventure-style playground equipment purchased between Jan. 1, 2011 and Sept. 2, 2011 using PAC-raised funds was eligible for reimbursement under this program.
- Individual school districts will be responsible for reimbursing their PACs, once they receive the funds from the ministry. The ministry does not have the ability to distribute capital funds directly to PACs.
- Over the past 10 years, government has spent more than $1.8 billion to complete 83 new and replacement schools, 149 school additions, 26 renovations and 22 site acquisitions across British Columbia.
- In the same time, the Province has committed more than $4 billion to school capital and maintenance projects, including school playgrounds.