All money raised and kept should have a purpose. The following steps will enable your PAC to make a realistic plan, consistent with school goals:
- Invite the parent membership to create a wish list or survey all parents. Ask school staff through the Principal to prioritize a list as well. Avoid compete requests by individual staff requests.
- The list should not include items that are standard curriculum items that should be provided by the school district.
- Prepare a list of possible fundraisers and how much they are likely to raise.
- Come up with a realistic plan for the PAC, in consultation with the Principal, to ensure the plan fits with the school’s needs. Coordinate events with those of the school.
- Use the previous year’s budget and financial reports as a guide and prepare a budget. The budget should be passed before the current one expires.
- Once passed a budget can be amended by a note at a general meeting. The Treasurer is responsible for keeping track of income and expenses and to alert members of any important deviations from the budget.