An Evening with Dr. Yong Zhao on World Class Education

An Evening with Dr. Yong Zhao: Join SD57 on August 26th, 7pm

DrZhao.jpgWorld Class Education:

Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students.

The world needs creative and entrepreneurial talents who are globally competent to take advantage of the opportunities brought about technology and globalization and tackle the tough challenges facing human beings. But our schools are being pushed to produce homogenous, compliant, and employee-minded test-takers, as a result of seductive power of the traditional education paradigm.

In this presentation, Dr. Yong Zhao challenges the traditional paradigm, debunks the myth of international tests such as PISA and TIMSS, and proposes a new paradigm of education aimed to cultivate diverse, creative, and entrepreneurial talents.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:00 p.m. Vanier Hall

Click here for more information

Click here to register for the session

Note: an account is required in order to register, but all that is asked for is name, email, and a password. Parents can register without any problems.

SD57 Administrative Appointments

From an announcement today:

Lee Karpenko – Principal, Duchess Park Secondary
Steve MacRae – Principal, Kelly Road Secondary
Conrad Turner – Vice-Principal, Duchess Park Secondary
Shandee Whitehead – Vice-Principal, Kelly Road Secondary
Kap Manhas – Vice-Principal, Prince George Secondary
Parrish Child – Principal – Edgewood Elementary
Linda McGraw – Principal, Heritage Elementary
Anne Smith – Principal, Ecole Lac des Bois
Sid Jawanda – Principal, Peden Hill Elementary
Becky Easton – Vice-Principal, Heather Park Elementary
Shannon Daines – Vice-Principal, Heritage Elementary
Tracy Cole – Vice-Principal, Quinson Elementary
Angela Zummack – Vice-Principal, Van Bien Elementary

We wish all these administrators all the best in their new positions.

 

Useful Links for Parent Complaints

http://www.bccpac.bc.ca/resources/speaking

A step-by-step guide to resolution advocacy for parents who want to become better advocates for their children. This guide gives information on:

  • details on how the school system works,
  • outlines parent and students rights and responsibilities,
  • provides strategies for advocating for children, and
  • supports student self-advocacy

 

SD57 Steps for Problem Solving:

http://www.sd57.bc.ca/Lists/Publications/Guide_to_solving_problems.pdf

 

Counsellor Newsletter

Hello all.

Summer Is Just Around The Corner.

Summer Is Just Around The Corner.

Summer break is almost here. Congratulations to our grade 7 kids moving on to high school! Stay a step ahead and check out tips below on activities, safety tips, summer parenting. This summer is going to be a hot one so you want to stay cool!

To make life more enjoyable, you can start with this….

Sibling Fighting, Backtalk and Yelling-It Must Be Summer

Enjoy,

Linda

https://www.smore.com/ftx8z-we-sel-june?ref=email

Minutes from June 1st General Meeting

DPAC Minutes 2015 June 1
7:00 pm Van Bien Training and Development Centre
Attendees:
DPAC Executive:
Sarah Holland (Chair), Rob Woods (Secretary), Gillian Burnett (Treasurer), Dennis Fudge, Darlene Campbell.
Partner Groups:
Karen Wong – CUPE 3742, Richard Giroday – PGDTA, Dan Watt (PGPVPA), Brian Pepper – Superintendent, Brenda Hooker – Trustee
School Reps: Chris Finke – DP Todd, Shauna Conner – Ecole Lac Des Bois, Mike Gagel – Southridge, Kim Shannon – Kelly Road, Michelle Rolfes – PGSS, Christine Kullman-Taylor – Edgewood, Candice Bate – Buckhorn, Charleen Henya – Nas de Yon, Adele Rouleau – Buckhorn

1. Call to order
2. Adoption of Agenda and Minutes
Agenda adopted as amended. Minutes adopted as presented.
3. PAC networking and discussion
a. The Montessori school is now called Polaris Montessori.
4. Reports
a. DSAC – not in attendance
b. CUPE (Karen Wong)
200 layoffs. 50% chose not to bump. Approximately 40 retiring. Currently awaiting postings.
c. PGDTA – Richard Giroday
i. From current president (Tina – by email). Thanks for opportunities to work with us. Looking forward to getting back to teaching.
ii. From Richard
1. Aproximately 28 retirements, 3 secondary teachers layed off.
2. Tough year, and off the normal rhythm.
d. PG Principal and Vice Principals Association (Dan Watt)
i. Video he planned for us is unavailable and will be posted on our site.
ii. Many elementary to high school transition activities happening this year.
e. Professional Employees Association – no attendee.
f. Superintendent Report – brain pepper.
i. See attached Report.
ii. 75 retiring
iii. Post-secondary opportunities coming. University transfer and trades.
iv. Speaker Yong Zhau on Aug 26 at vanier hall @ 7:00 pm.
v. Grad/Prom time. Hoping for safety and sensibility, and enjoyment, and fun and celebration.
vi. Q: Long range facility plan: Gut feeling of how much will become real recommendations? A: No simple answer. Many other possibilities that staff will look at. Work on structural deficit. Rarely do reports equal the final result.
vii. Q: Did consultants consult with staff. Yes, they did consult with many in the community. Consultants alsoused a report 5 years old as part of their information.
g. Trustee Report – Brenda Hooker.
i. Busy between budget, and strategic planning process. May 20+ meetings.
ii. Budget and Expanded Committee of the Whole process has been difficult. Using a surplus is not sustainable.
iii. Rural Education Committee – creating terms of reference. Hope to organize a rural forum for this fall.
iv. Minister’s forum on education June 15 – by invitation.
v. Looking at sustainability this fall to address the structural deficit.
vi. Look at accountability framework.
vii. Q: long range facility plan: Will there be parent input? A: Yes, it is just a plan, no decisions made yet. Will be broad consultation.
viii. Q. Rural Forum: Suggest Oct 23. Ministers will be here and DPAC conference on Oct 24th.
5. Elections – Director
a. Tabled until September – no one nominated.
6. Officer and Committee Reports
a. Executive board Report
i. Attached to agenda package
b. Treasurer’s report – see attached
c. BCCPAC Report(Dennis Fudge, Darlene Campbell)
i. Trying to involve more aboriginal parents.
ii. Money may be available for conference. Funding 4 conferences per year.
iii. Membership applications need to be in early Sept.
7. PAC and Parent Assistance
a. Grant Requests
i. No requests for this meeting.
b. Gary Anaka
i. Gary will be here Sept 24. He will be presenting on the Teenage brain. Tentatively located at Duchess Park. For students Grade 8-12
c. Fall Conference
i. Civic Centre is booked.
8. Advising School District
a. Long range facilities plan: Attached.
i. Additional Attachments
1. How they will be getting rid of surplus properties.
2. Conclusion and Recommendations
ii. Questions re Strong Start and numbers. i.e. 95% capacity, how does that work with a strong start needing a room.
iii. Gillian: Suggest we seek parent input now, and possibly a committee now.
iv. Possible Actions:
1. Committee
a. Gillian, Sarah, Dennis, Steve, Shawna, Darlene, Mike.
2. Try to get parent feedback asap.
3. A DPAC unified position should be documented. Do not take position on which schools to close.
4. Create a summary per school (1 page).
5. Gillian will set up a schedule for the committee.
v. MOTION:
Form a committee to agree upon SD57 DPAC position regarding long range facility plan.
CARRIED
b. Education services committee report.
i. None
c. Education programs and planning committee report
i. Attached
ii. Dual Credit with UNBC:
1. Q: where would the classes take place? A: At UNBC, some during the day.
d. Policy and governance
i. Whistleblower policy did not include parents.
e. Suggestions for school board report
i. Next school board meeting is June 23rd.
ii. Mention that we are striking committee to discuss Long range facilities plan
9. Other Business
MOTION
To remove Chris Finke as a signing authority on the District Parent Advisory Council No. 57 Prince George bank account.
CARRIED
MOTION
To add Dennis Fudge as a signing authority on the District Parent Advisory Council No. 57 Prince George bank account.
CARRIED
a. Gift to Rob Woods in appreciation for taking Secretary role.
b. Gift to Chris for years of service.
10. Agenda items for next meeting
a. none
11. Adjourned at 9:25 pm. Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, Sep 14 at 7:00 PM, Van Bien.

City of Prince George Summer Camp Flyer

Summer Camp Flyer

Please find (attached) the City of Prince George Summer Camp Flyer.  This flyer lists many of the great opportunities for camps, programs and activities that kids can participate in over their summer holidays.  Some of the organizations that are hosting summer programs include the YMCA of Northern BC, Exploration Place, The PG Public Library, Two Rivers Gallery, Les Cercle des Canadiens Francais, and many more!

Please feel free to share this flyer with your students, parents, staff and administration in your school.  Attaching this flyer to your monthly school newsletter is a great way to get the information out to student’s families.  You are also welcome to post this flyer on your school websites.

The flyer is also available on the City of Prince George website at:  www.princegeorge.ca/cityliving/recreation/YouthPrograms  so please share this link in newsletters and on websites.

Thank you so much for your time in sharing this resource with your school.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information.

Marta Gregor

Community Coordinator, City of Prince George

Long Range Facilities Plan

Secretary Treasurer Allan Reed presented a long range facility plan to the Board of Education at its regular meeting held May 26, 2015. The plan was prepared by third-party consultant Cascades Facilities Management Ltd. Each school district in the province is required to develop and maintain a comprehensive school district facilities plan in accordance with the Ministry of Education’s Five Year Capital Plan Policy.

Click here to see the report.

Click here for an FAQ.

Click here to read the news release.

Agenda – June 1st General Meeting

 

Attend by webconference: https://ca-sas.bbcollab.com/m.jnlp?sid=7345&password=M.4F161F499E749087B1EFB3ABAEF091

Agenda – DPAC General Meeting
Monday, June 1, 2015, 7:00 p.m., Van Bien Training Centre
1. Call to order
2. Adoption of agenda and Adoption of Minutes
3. PAC Networking and discussion (To increase the effectiveness of this section of the agenda, we suggest that people report on ideas that may be of interest to other PACs, or concerns that other PACs could help with.)
7:30pm – Partner groups enter

4. Partner Group Presentations (five minutes each – questions may be taken about general topics)
a) DSAC Report (Robin Keahey, Hayley Jakubowski)
b) CUPE Report (Karen Wong)
c) Prince George District Teachers Association Report (Richard Giroday)
d) Prince George Principal and Vice Principals Association Report (Dan Watt)
e) Professional Employees Association (Nicole Haines)
f) Superintendent Report (Brian Pepper)
g) Trustee Report (Brenda Hooker)
(5 – 10 minute snack break, opportunity for further partner group discussions)
5. Elections – Director position
6. Officer and Committee Reports
a) Executive Board Report (Sarah Holland)
b) Treasurer’s Report (Chris Finke)
c) BCCPAC Report (Dennis Fudge)
7. PAC and Parent Assistance
a) Grant requests
b) Gary Anaka – September 24th – evening presentation & available to schools during the day. Teenage Brain for parents & students in grade 8-12; tentatively located at Duchess Park
c) Fall conference planning – scheduled for October 24, 2015, at Civic Centre. Committee report.
8. Advising School District
a) Long Range Facilities Plan
b) Education Services Committee Report (Steve)
c) Education Programs and Planning Committee Report (Chris, Darlene)
d) Policy and Governance (Sarah, Dennis)
e) Ad hoc Technology Committee (Steve)
f) Expanded committee of the whole (Dennis, Gillian)
g) Suggestions for School Board Report

9. Other Business
a)
b)
10. Agenda items for next meeting
11. Adjournment – Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, September ___, at 7:00 pm, Van Bien.